Mr. Moghul’s accomplishments in the areas of real estate and business litigation are varied and many, including his selection into the elite group of America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators (2021), the Virginia Lawyers Weekly “Go-To” Business Litigation Lawyers (2023), Lawyers of Distinction (2023), and the prestigious Super Lawyers Rising Stars shortlist every year since 2016.
Mr. Moghul is a widely published author whose works have received critical acclaim in both state and national media. As a regular contributor to premier legal publications like Lexis Nexis and the American Law Institute, Mr. Moghul frequently publishes practical guidance notes to educate other lawyers on cutting-edge legal issues in real estate and business law. In 2023, Mr. Moghul was also selected as the speaker for a VACLE seminar on examining a real estate broker’s liability under Virginia law.
Mr. Moghul is hyper-focused on providing the best legal representation to his clients. As a seasoned trial attorney, he has obtained successful outcomes in high-stake disputes for numerous clients in state and federal courts throughout Virginia and D.C. In 2017, Mr. Moghul’s representation of a client in a real estate fraud case received favorable coverage in the Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly Settlements and Verdicts section. In 2019, Mr. Moghul was part of a legal team that spearheaded the dismissal of a $7 million-dollar business partnership dispute for claims involving breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, conversion, and civil conspiracy. That same year, Mr. Moghul also obtained a high six-figure settlement in a deed fraud case in Loudoun County Circuit Court. In 2020, Mr. Moghul became one of the very few lawyers in Virginia to obtain a rare pre-filing injunction against a serial filer pro se litigant. He has also successfully defended many landlords in toxic mold poisoning lawsuits.
- “Business Law Institute 2023: LLC Operating Agreements – Top 10 Clauses You Must Have,” Faisal Moghul, Event Moderator and Speaker, Virginia CLE Seminar (September 29, 2023)
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance, “Commercial Foreclosure Flowchart” by Faisal Moghul and Terry Fox (June 22, 2023).
- Virginia CLE Seminar, “Examining A Real Estate Broker’s Liability to the Purchaser In Residential Real Estate Transactions In Virginia,” Speakers, Terry L. Fox Esq and Faisal Moghul Esq (April 26 and June 15, 2023)
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance, “Commercial Loan Defaults and Remedies (VA),” by Faisal Moghul and Terry Fox (May 2023).
- American Law Institute, The Practical Lawyer, “Direct vs Derivative Claims: Permitting Direct Shareholder Actions for Closely Held Corporations,” by Faisal Moghul and Joseph Rugari (July, 2022).
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance, “Purchase and Sale of Commercial Real Property (VA),” by Faisal Moghul and Terry Fox (November 15, 2021).
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance, “Choice of Ownership Structure of Real Property,” by Faisal Moghul and Terry Fox (June 9, 2022)
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance, “Recording Procedures for Real Estate Documents In Virginia,” by Faisal Moghul and Terry Fox (August 2022)
- American Law Institute, The Practical Lawyer, “Caveat Emptor vs Seller Disclosure in Residential Real Property Conveyances,” by Faisal Moghul and Terry Fox (April 2021 Edition)
- American Law Institute’s Continuing Legal Education, “Of Creditors, Guarantors, and Sureties: Whose Debt Is It Anyway?” Faisal Moghul
- Foundation for Economic Education, “The Death of Privacy,” Faisal Moghul, Jan. 4, 2013
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, “Suit over title to property relied on motions practice,” Published spring 2016
Areas of Practice
- Business partnership disputes and shareholder derivative litigation;
- Business torts (fraud, business conspiracy, defamation, fiduciary duty, tortious interference);
- Noncompete/restrictive covenants, trade secrets litigation, copyright and trademark infringement, and injunctions/specific performance claims;
- NVAR Residential Sales Contract disputes, real estate broker/agent liability and regulatory compliance, Virginia Residential Property Disclosure Act (caveat emptor vs seller disclosure issues);
- Construction Litigation, including General vs subcontractor, Contractor (Classes A, B and C) vs homeowner disputes, and mechanics liens;
- Toxic Mold Defense;
- Commercial and Residential Evictions;
- Easements, nuisance, trespass, boundary line, adverse possession, and title disputes;
- Community Association Law (HOAs/Condominium);
- Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (“DPOR”) investigations;
- Business Structuring (LLCs, LPs, C/S corporations, LLLPs etc)
- Asset/Stock Purchases and Sales
- Real Estate Wholesaling and “Hard Money” Loan Agreements
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Lexington, Virginia, Juris Doctor (with Honors)
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, B.A. magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star: 2016 – 2022
- America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators
- American Bar Association (Litigation)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Loudoun, Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William and Spotsylvania Counties, Alexandria City and Washington DC Association of Realtors (NVAR) Legal Services Provider